Monday 24 November 2014

Bradford Animation Festival: Pomme Frites


Just when I thought I couldn't laugh any harder, BAF go and show this animation...

Pomme Frites is a short animation that uses a combination of 3D computer and stop motion animation, and was produced by Balder Westein. It. Is. Brilliant. This is another animation that had the whole room in stitches, I mean, my eyes had started watering because I was laughing so hard. Maybe I only found it as funny because everyone else was laughing and this made it hard for me to stop, but either way it s hilarious.

The first thing I noticed when the animation started was just how much detail was put into the setting. It was beautiful. It felt very realistic and lifelike, especially the waves that crashed against the cliff edge, as well as the features of the street, for instance the cobbles and the wood of the doors and window frames, etc. I also like the use of the lighting and the colour scheme in this animation. They, again, look very realistic, and the colours of the sky are just perfect. It sets the scene very well. I like how they have been able to portray a typical october night with the dark colours they have used along with the sounds of the wind. It actually made me feel quite cold watching it. Then they were able to create a contrasting warmth with the soft glow of the street lights and the light escaping from the windows of  the houses in the street.

Another thing I liked about this animation was the contrast between this realistic setting and the design of the characters. They were realistic in the sense that they had human characteristics, but they differ massively from the style of the background, so they really stand out. Westein also hasn't tried to hide the fact that they are puppets, which I thought was a really nice touch.

To sum up, this is truly an amazing animation visually that I just couldn't stop laughing at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment