Tuesday 25 November 2014

Bradford Animation Festival: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

Now, I had seen this animation prior to going to BAF, but that doesn't mean it didn't make me feel as uncomfortable and creeped out as it did the first time around. This animation is just plain weird. Don't believe me? Watch it for yourself.

The first "Don't Hug me I'm Scared"

The second "Don't Hug me I'm Scared" (The one we actually watched at BAF)

I'm not even fully sure I like these animations, they just mess with me too much. I mean I think they're brilliant and they are hilarious in the most deranged way possible, but my days they're so weird. To begin with it seems as though it is aimed at children, as the characters seem quite childish and brightly coloured, and they are singing/discussing concepts and ideas suitable for children. I.E. Imagination and Time. You soon realise that this is not the case, and the animation is very unsettling as they begin to rub organs in glitter and other acts of a similar nature. There is a massive conflict between the method used & the way it looks visually and the content of the video, and I think that's why I like it, that and the "random" things they do and say, as well as their tone of voice. The combination of all these things leaves you baffled thinking "What in the world have I just watched?", and that is why I like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment