Tuesday 3 November 2015

Golden Rules of Social Media

In today's PPP session we talked about the importance of having presence on social media sites, and how we need to start thinking about keeping our professional and personal lives separate. We were considering what social media we already have and thinking about how we could use these websites to help us in our studies/career paths.

Our agreed 'Golden Rules':
- Associate with care. If we allow certain people to associate with us on sites, this could allow access to our profiles by people we want to keep our information private.
- Post carefully. Be positive.
- Post Frequent.
- Post Relevantly.
- Consider the work you choose to document/post.
- Build and maintain using all of our accounts, not just one.
 -COMMUNICATE.

The session made me reflect on my own social media. In the holidays I had actually set up a couple of blogs/social media but it openned my eyes to keep using them all. Now that I have an Instagram account I tend to update all of my other social media (Tumblr, Twitter) through this app when I post updates of work, when really I should think about posting separately BUT cross reference my different sites.

I have also revisited my Facebook profile that I use personally, and made sure that my privacy settings are set to friends rather than everyone. By doing this I can keep my details and personal life private and more importantly keep unwanted information away from potential employers or professionals if they happen to try and find out more about me.

I am also going to create a Linkedin account so I can build up a network of professionals in my field of interest, and use it to potentially communicate with them to help build said network.


My aim is to continue to use my social media sites, but to make sure I post more frequently.  I also aim to at least try to double my follower count on said sites by posting often and expressing my interests in my field of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment