Thursday 23 March 2017

Smitten Fox: Discussion of Progress

I had started to work colour into the fox design and I had opted for quite a realistic style, when I realised I hadn't discussed how they wanted the final finish to look like. I showed them both my progress so far and explained that this could be an option for them - quite a lifelike fox - or if they wanted I could experiment with different styles. For instance, watercolour, block colours for a more cartoon look, or a looser colouring style.

Fox Logo Progress

They were really impressed with the progress that I had made, and they were happy for me to continue working in the style I had opted for. Then they asked me how I would incorporate their company name into the design. I had visions of the text being sat alongside the fox, and very roughly showed them what I meant and how it could look. I outlined that we would be able to experiment with different fonts and they could decide on what they liked best.

Example Mock-ups

Cameron had a suggestion of having the name in/on cardboard in a similar way to Little Big Planet's logo, and asked whether this would work/I'd be able to do this. I told him that I definitely would be able to experiment with this, but that he should consider how they were wanting to present themselves; cardboard has connotations of being quite crafty and is a cheap material. This might portray them in a different light to what they were hoping for, and a clean font would have different connotations. This might make them seem more professional than quirky. I left that with them to think about, but told them I'd be happy roughing up different ideas if they were unsure. Ultimately it is up to them and what they choose to go for in the end.

Little Big Planet Logo

We also briefly discussed the size of the logo. At the minute I am working on a large scale to accommodate the level of detail I had opted for with the design, but told them there is always the opportunity to scale down. I also told them that I am going to stick to working on separate layers, so that there would be the opportunity to re-position elements to make their branding appropriate across a potential promo pack. For example, a letter head could include the company's name along the top of the page, and have the fox sitting in one of the bottom corners. I also discussed the option of having a big logo that could be used on a larger scale, for instance on channel art, banners or websites, and then having a small logo that could be used for social media icons. The smaller icon could simply be the fox's face.


They both seemed really impressed with the insights and ideas I had for their company, and are excited to see how it will turn out. I let them know when I would next be able to work on the project and get back to them with progress, and they told me not to stress as they're not working with a deadline. However, I still would like to push to get this finished, as not only will it be a job out of the way, but it will also leave them with a good impression of me.

Update: They have both since informed me that they will not need the logo finishing until a couple of months down the line, as they both have other commitments they need to put first, and know that I too am in the same position. This has taken some weight of my shoulders, as I can now focus on the things I need to produce for submission/uni. I have informed them both that I shall continue with the logo once uni is out of the way, and they said that this was fine, and that they can't wait to see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment