Sunday 20 November 2016

Manchester Animation Festival: Making of Ethel and Ernest

Ethel and Ernest Trailer

Director Roger Mainwood, Animation Director Peter Dodd and Producers Camilla Deakin and Ruth Fielding from Lupus Films, sat down and talked about the making of Ethel and Ernest, a film adaptation of Raymond Brigg's graphic novel. Prior to this talk I had never heard of the film, but now I can't wait to see it. 

Having researched extensively about character performance for my dissertation, I can see why this film is successful, or at least going to be. The production has an attention to detail that is truly fascinating. This teamed with how the characters look and move naturalistically, has resulted in very real, very lovable and relate-able characters. The behaviours aren't exaggerated in any way, instead they are very true to life. It is the subtle actions and details that draw you into this film, and allows you to empathise with the characters.

After the talk, I tried to ask the team more about their production, and whether they used a lot of referencing whilst animating. I could understand if this film was heavily referenced due to how realistic it looked, and how fluid the movements were, but apparently it was very rare for the animators to work with reference; there was definitely no rotoscoped animation that's for sure. Instead the animators would study from real life to ensure natural movements and behaviours. This has really stressed the importance of life and gesture drawing for me, and is something I am definitely going to push myself to do more of, as this is pretty much exactly the kind of work I want to produce myself/would like to work on in the future. If I am going to be able produce animation that plays back this smoothly, and this realistically, I am definitely going to have to practice drawing too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment