Friday 4 March 2016

Creating Game Art: Berry Picker

My boyfriend is studying computer science at University, and once again he has asked me whether I'd like to create the art for the games he is making. Though the scale he was asking me to work at was much smaller than what I was used to, I accepted the challenge as I'm always up for gaining experience and trying new styles. 

The first game I had to produce art for was very straight-forward as there weren't too many things to design as it was an incremental game; I only had to create a background, title and a few visuals. Usually this would have been a very quick job, especially as he required the art to be quite basic, but it took a bit longer than expected as I was working at such a small scale, the background being around 800x800 pixels, and components being a maximum of 100 pixels wide/tall. 

Screenshot of Berry Picker

GIFs Showing How The Components Change In-Game
(Poor Quality Due to Being Scaled Up)

Even though my experience with Pixel art is limited, I was able to produce components that both he and myself were happy with, so much so that he has asked me to produce art for his next project, which I happily agreed to work on. I really enjoyed the challenge of creating pixel art. and it was a nice to create work for a game for a change rather than animating. Game design is something I have definitely been interested in for a while, and as I'm still not sure what I want to pursue, I'm willing to continue to explore to try and narrow my choices down, building up my skills along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment