Monday 14 March 2016

Fettle Animation: A Talk With Zane Whittingham

Today I attended a surprise presentation by Zane Whittingham from Fettle Animation, a company that I had coincidentally researched prior to the talk for my Pitch Perfect project. He showed us a selection of his work - some of which I had already seen whilst I was researching, but it was nice to see the pieces I had missed - and talked to us about breaking into the animation industry. I thought it was interesting to hear about the freelance artists and animators that they had worked with in the past. Not all of them had been what Fettle had been personally looking for, and so they didn't end up working there very long, but it was nice to hear that they had achieved success in other companies, and that there are considerate people such as Zane in the industry that still found the positives in individuals to refer to other creatives and clients. It made me think more positively about the animation industry as it seems to be a closely knit network, and though you may not excel with one company, you may be comfortable with another, and that's okay; definitely reassuring.

After the talk, I took the opportunity to chat with Zane and show him some of my work. I thought my Responsive work related heavily to what Fettle were doing with their own, so I showed him and he seemed to like it, and even asked to see other work I had been working on, which was nice. When I asked if he had any pointers he told me to remember the principles of animation and try to incorporate them the best that I can, and that Anticipation might be a particularly good one to focus on with my current responsive project, especially when the character is working with the pitch fork.


I really appreciated the time Zane took to talk to me, and the tips he was able to provide. He had given me a business card, so I took the opportunity to email him to thank him again for his time, and show him some more of my work if he was interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment