Friday 20 March 2015

Brave: Mom, It's Just MAH BOE!

Brave is another one of my all time favourite animations. I don't necessarily like it for it's storyline, as I don't think it's one of the best that I've seen. It's not really that creative, and after a while I managed to worked out the twist in the story but with that being said, It's still interesting to watch and I don't get bored of it.  What I really like brave for is the art style.


Visually, Brave is beautiful. Pixar's attention to detail has made the film look extremely realistic. Where as I don't think that an animation has to do this in order for it to be visually stunning, however It really does help you to get lost in the world that they have created in this case. Not only is the setting well produced, the lighting in this film is spot on, and it really enhances the realism of the world. Especially in the example I have given below. They have created a warm glow to show that the sun is setting, which really makes the scene feel cosy and warm which greatly compliments what happens in this scene as it makes the relationship between the mother and daughter seem much more loving. 


But it's not just the environments that I find stunning, I also really like the characters within this film. I like that Merida isn't your usual princess that seeks "true love", instead she is against marriage and is much more adventurous than your usual female protagonist. She also has a much more realistic body image, which isn't usually something that I am bothered about, but it is nice to see a bit more variety in the size of characters.  It's not just Merida that has character appeal though, the whole family are great characters with great personalities. I especially like the relationship between Merida and her father Fergus which I can definitely relate to. 

Then there's the fact that I am very, VERY jealous of Merida's hair. Everything about it is perfect in my opinion, the colour, the style, and it's also beautifully animated. She has a grand total of 111,700 strands of hair in total and the simulation team ended up creating a simulation program to animate her hair which they named "Taz". This took them three years to produce but their hard work clearly paid off. The team were actually so proud of the program and how well it worked, that they used it to animate the other character's hair and fur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment