Friday 20 March 2015

Lilo and Stitch: Ohana Means Family, Family Means No One Gets Left Behind…

… Or forgotten.

I may sound like I'm repeating myself when I say this, but Lilo and Stitch is another of my all time favourite films. For me, I can't find fault with it, I just like everything about this animation. For starters the story is great. It may follow a generic theme of a character developing from having a destructive nature to a loving one, but I think it does so in a much more creative way by taking a different approach to the subject. It also does so by creating masses of character appeal. Stitch is just a well designed character in my opinion. He is very "cute and fluffy" and has a general personality and mannerisms that make him very loveable.
I also like the story because it is one of Disney's first animations to focus on the relationship between siblings rather than parent and child. It also tackles the subject of losing a parent/s very well, and gives just enough detail at the right time to explain how Lilo and Nani ended up in the situation that they are in. You can tell that the event has effected them greatly but this all but strengthens the appeal of the characters. It makes it more heartbreaking learning that Lilo doesn't fit in with other children of her age, and that she gets bullied by her peers. Because of this it makes it all the more heartwarming when Stitch settles into the family and genuinely enjoys Lilo's company. Not only this, but it emphasises just how hard Nani works to keep her happy and their broken little family up and running.


I also like that the art style greatly reflects an Hawaiian culture. The environment maintains a certain degree of realism, but it's nice that the backgrounds and props aren't "picture perfect". It gives the animation a more homely and loving feel, and directs the attention to the characters, which are so beautifully designed. Below is an example of what I mean. The setting is very realistic, but it lacks details in the background which consequently makes the foreground stand out.


No comments:

Post a Comment