Thursday 26 March 2015

Gorillaz: Hero Who Appears in You to Clear Your View When You're Too Crazy

I've liked Gorillaz's music for quite a few years now, but I'm still to this day impressed by the virtual band that was created by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. I think the idea was amazingly creative and not only that but I like the style in which they have been produced too.


I really like the thick definitive line work that Hewlett uses to draw his characters. It is something I do myself with my own character designs, just not as thick; I don't think I could pull of working in lines as bold as what he has used. I also like the characters look very "clean" due to this definitive line work. The characters also manage to look human, even though some of their features have been exaggerated (incredibly long, thin legs for example) and that they have been drawn using straight lines and sharp edges, with only the occasional curve.

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill

Overall I really like Jamie Hewlett's style. It is a very recognizable style and you can tell immediately that you are looking at his work, especially because Hewlett is so consistent with it. The only times he has really strayed from his usual style is when he has worked with 3D, for example in the On Melancholy Hill music video. Even then you can still tell it is his work, because he is still committed to the definitive edges that make up the characters. I like that even though this style is consistent throughout his characters, he is still able to make a vast variety of them and give them different personalities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment