Thursday 26 March 2015

The Wind Rises: Airplanes Are Beautiful, Cursed Dreams, Waiting For The Sky to Swallow Them Up.

The Wind Rises is the next film I watched by Studio Ghibli, and I was shocked to see how different it was to Howl's Moving Castle. The art style is consistent throughout the two films, but the plot of this movie completely caught me off guard and I wasn't prepared for "the feels".


I started watching the film having never heard anything about it, other than about the stunning "flying through the town" scene. I soon learned that this animation is much more serious and is actually based on Jiro Horikoshi, the designer of the Mitsubishi A5M fighter aircraft during World War II. I like that the movie depicts the events from that time from a different view point, but still documents the suffering of those living through the war. In some aspects its quite light-hearted and shows the ambition and passion that Jiro has for designing planes, yet it is heat breaking because of sad and horrific events that occur.

The Wind Rises - Flying Through Town Clip

Again, this movie is visually stunning and I would recommend anyone to watch it. I feel that it takes a while to get into as it isn't your usual imaginative plot, but it is definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment