Thursday 26 March 2015

Mulan: My Little Baby, Off to Destroy People...

Mulan is an absolute belter of a film. The film takes place during the Han Dynasty, where Fa Mulan impersonates a man so she can take her father's place in a counter to a Hun invasion. It is the first film by Disney to explore Family Duty and Honor themes, and it has done so in a very successful manner. The film is vibrant and is visually pleasing, but also contains a very wide range of characters, that reach out to a number of different personalities/audiences.

I'll make a Man Out of You

For me what made the film successful and much more entertaining were the songs, in particular "I'll make a man out of you". It made the training montage much more enjoyable, and really hyped up the battle that was going to occur between the Chinese army and the Huns, so I am definitely going to have to disagree (strongly) with the critics that describe the film as a "disappointment" and accused the songs of "not being memorable". I beg to differ. This is one of my favourite Disney songs, and it always gets me hyped up when I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment