Monday 22 May 2017

Contracts Workshop

The workshop I attended on work contracts was incredibly useful. Before hand I was oblivious to the paperwork side of jobs, but now I'm aware of why they are important and essential for when you're working for a client or company. It's especially useful considering I may be looking at doing some freelance work myself for a while if I am unsuccessful at getting myself a job.

A contract is an agreement between two or more parties, that outlines what work is to be carried out and for how much money. It should also include any upfront costs and terms for invoicing, what will be needed from the client, any additional fees and how long the work is going to last.

I also discovered that there are many other important factors that need to be carefully considered and clearly outlined, that I wasn't before aware of:
- Who is the main point of contact? Who is able to sign of any additional costs should there need to be any changes?
- Make sure to get a sign off from the client at each stage/milestone of a project.
- Is the work you produce OK to use in your showreel?
- Where are you going to be working? On their premises? At home?

Overall, a contract is set up to outline the exact terms of a project, and this needs to be very articulate. I now feel I have better understanding at how one should be laid out and the workshop has also provided me with a greater insight into how freelancers and companies/studios would work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment